Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love my family.

I don't think I can say it enough: I love my family. I mean, I've got the best dang family in the history of the universe.
This week was our yearly trip to Lake Powell which is pretty much my most favorite week of the entire year. Absolutely nothing beats being out on the lake, beautiful scenery, OFF the grid, no internet, no cell phones, just boats, sand, water, and family. No agenda. Nowhere to be. For me, there is no place I'd rather be, no vacation I'd rather take than a trip to Lake Powell with the people I love the most. I'd take it over an amusement park with the best rides, over an exotic resort getaway, over anything.
As we were preparing to go... and I must say, a LOT of work goes into prepping equipment for a boating trip, especially for a week long trip... I couldn't help but feel lucky to be a part of the family I am. As we pulled into my grandparent's driveway, and had all the trucks and boats lined up for final checks, ready to head out I wondered what my life would be like if I had been born into a different family. I mean, boating is my favorite thing in the world.  What if I didn't have the incredible grandparents I have? What if I didn't have all of those wonderful memories on the High Flyer growing up? Surely my life would still be great, I mean there are other enjoyable experiences... but the idea of not having that does make me sad. Those are my most cherished memories, and I would not have them if not for my grandparents. I'm thankful for the memories and the people in them. I'm thankful that Jon and I are able to have a boat of our own, so that my kids will be able to have lake memories of their own. I'm looking forward to sharing that simple joy with Chase next Summer, and every Summer after. But, if not for my grandpa and my brother... there's NO WAY Jon and I would have a boat of our own on the water. No. Way. Jon is new to boating the way we do, and I'm new to the responsibilities of boat ownership and we have so much to learn. When things don't run smoothly, we are completely lost without the help and direction of Mitch and grandpa. There's no way we'd be able to pay a mechanic every time we had a question about our boat. There's no way we'd be able to learn how to handle the situations that come up on the water without them. What if I had a different family? What if I didn't have a brother so willing to teach and help? I would not be able to give my future kids those boating memories I hope they will grow to cherish the way I do mine. What a sad thought. I am thankful it's not the case.
Every member of my family is important to me. I am excited to finally be able to go to Texas next month and visit my sister. I've never seen where her little family lives, and it's about time I do because hopefully they will be able to move here to Utah in the next couple years. I can not fathom a life with a different family, and I feel so lucky to be a part of mine. I don't know many families that can spend a week stranded on a little patch of sand together and leave still wanting to spend more time together, but mine can... and does. In fact, we just got home last night and we are already getting together again later tonight, and planning a camping trip for next weekend.
I have great friends. I have a handful of friends that I consider family, even. I'm so lucky to have so many great people in my life. But this week, I can't help but feel overwhelmingly happy that I have the family I do, AND that I also married into a family of amazing people as well. Double score.
So. Mom. Grandparents. Siblings. Please know... I kinda sorta like y'all. Even if you are completely nuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment