Wednesday, July 17, 2013

18 Weeks

The last two weeks have been a little bit rough. I've struggled with keeping food down, and actually ended up fainting at the grocery store, thank goodness Jon was there. The last week has been so much better than the one before, I'm able to keep food down more regularly, I upped my supplements, added Iron B complex, and folate, and have been making sure to get more salt in. I'm feeling *SO* much better. Since I'm not so nauseous all the time I'm also able to get a lot more whole, nutritious foods down (and staying down!) and I can tell a huge difference in how I feel. Staying hydrated has been much easier with the vomiting subsiding as well. I'm not saying things are perfect, I still get sick almost every day, but in comparison to what it was last week and the few before that, I'm feeling pretty darn good!
But one thing is for sure. Jon and I have put a TON of thought into our choices for prenatal care and labor/ delivery for this pregnancy. I know there are plenty who disagree with our choices, and that's FINE. I respect that. However, we still feel that even despite the bleeding scare we had at 13 weeks (bleeding completely stopped 100% 2.5 weeks ago, by the way) and my struggles with nausea making food a struggle for a while there... we ARE planning on continuing to plan a home birth, with a midwife.
I've gotten several comments on this from friends and family alike. I KNOW these are well-intended comments, I KNOW it's because everyone cares, and I am SO SO SO SO glad that Chase has so many people that love him and care about him already, what a lucky boy! But please understand that these ARE educated choices on our part. We ARE NOT just taking shots in the dark here and hoping for the best. For many, many reasons we still feel this is the best option, and have every intention of pursuing it. I respect the choices others have made for their own pregnancies and deliveries, and all I'm asking for is the same consideration. Please trust Jon and I as educated adults to make our own decisions.
I hope no one takes this personal. It's not directed at anyone in particular, I promise.


How far along? 18 weeks exactly

How big is baby? According to the babycenter tracker, he's about the size of a bell pepper this week.

Total weight gain/loss: -19. (139) I'm not losing nearly as rapidly as I was now. I had dipped down to -21, but actually in the last three days have GAINED almost 2 lbs, which is a really good thing!

Maternity clothes? Nope. I have one pair of 4's that don't have stretch to them, and they are mildly uncomfortable, but my other jeans have a bit of stretch and don't really feel any different.

Sleep: I've been having some lower back discomfort (going to the chiropractor!) that's had me tossing and tuning to get comfortable, BUT... still getting more sleep than usual, and though I do wake up to readjust a lot, I'm always able to fall back asleep. I'm super enjoying it and hope it lasts!

Best moment the last two weeks: Feeling the first little flutters of movement. Unreal <3

Movement: I'm not feeling regular movement, but I also have a low and front-lying placenta, so that may be a factor. I have felt movement for absolute certain a handful of times, and a handful more that I am not quite sure if it was him, or just tummy rumbles.

Food cravings: Not really having cravings, but food in general is going down easier most of the time. I'm kind of on a yogurt kick... and string cheese. Probably because they're reasonably healthy and super easy to grab, not really craving them.

Food Aversions: Anything leafy. It's a texture thing, rather than taste. 

Gender: Boy. <3

Pregnancy Symptoms: I feel a little "off" emotionally. Not really mood-swingy, and not depressed... just off. I don't have a whole lot to say and I feel really anti social for no reason. Just know that even though I'm a little distant, I AM OK! I promise. I'm finding that I really like to be alone, and left to my thoughts, I've been writing a ton. I know I'm clingy to Jon right now, and pretty much want him (but ONLY him) around every second it's possible... but I don't find other company as appealing. I LOVE my family SO much, I LOVE that we're close, I LOVE spending time with them, and I don't know why I'm so quiet and distant lately.
Other than that, I'm happy to say nausea is getting MUCH better. Mornings and nights are a little queasy and occasionally during the day, but food is going down (and staying down) so much better the last few days. It's GREAT.
I'm tired. But that's pretty normal. :-)

Belly Button in or out? In

What I miss: I miss having energy, and I miss being able to go out to dinner with my husband and not worry about getting sick at the restaurant. But it will be so worth it, and all those things will come back in time. What matters now, and what my focus is NOW, is baby Chase, and growing him strong and healthy.

What I am looking forward to: I can't wait for my belly to really "pop".... the bump is finally starting, though in clothes I don't think anyone can really tell yet, I can't wait for it to really be obvious. I figure if I'm going to be sick all the time I want the novelty belly to show for it!

Upcoming appointments/events: My next appointment is on the 23rd, for the full anatomy scan. I am very confident that we will be able to continue planning a home birth at that point. I feel (and Jon agrees) that it is the right choice for our family. For all three of us.

Milestones: So far: made it through first trimester, had first (and second) ultrasound, and discovered gender, and felt movement

Bump Picture: 

And the progression picture:


1 comment:

  1. I think this is fun that you document your pregnancy! It's amazing how quick you forget. I wish I would have done this better. I think it's really neat that you have read alot about pregnancy/delivery and chosen what you feel is best for you, baby Chase, and your family :) I'm sorry that you've had comments made about not agreeing with what you feel to be right for you. I think we get that with every decsion we make in life. Not everyone agrees, and you can't make everyone happy. I think most have good intentions - like you said. We've all had different experiences and reasons we feel certain ways about childbirth. There is not one right or wrong way. We are all just different. Stay true to yourself and trust that you know what is best for your family. I think you're doing a great job! Enjoy the little flutters and soon to be kicks! Baby Chase will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete