Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Confessions of the Introverted Social Hermit

It's not that I don't care. It's not that I don't like you. It's not that I'm miserable.
It's that.... I just really like my space. A whole awful lot.

1. I intentionally don't carry my phone on me 99% of the time. Because then I have to answer it, and I really don't want that.

2. If I'm not expecting someone, I refuse to answer the door. In fact, I refuse to even check who it is. I will indeed put forth my best effort to appear NOT home. I will even let the dogs bark on without hushing them to add to the illusion. Please. Don't ever show up unannounced. It really pisses me off- even if I like you.

3. I don't actually like people in my house. Not even people I love a whole awful lot. Not even people I enjoy being around otherwise. It weirds me out. It throws off my routines, it throws off the dogs, and I don't like it.

4. I rarely make plans, because he second I do I want out of them. The exception to this rule is family, oh I will plan things with family ANY time. But that lunch I committed to weeks ago? That meeting on the calendar? I likely spend more time trying to think of an excuse to cancel than anything. I just don't like committing my time to things in advance. It's not that I don't WANT to see people, I do... but having a strict agenda makes me really uneasy and irritated. I'm like a 90 year old woman- if I have a hair appointment at 2pm on Wednesday, I'm busy for the week. No more commitments can be made.

5. I don't like meeting new people. I'm really quite comfortable in my small social circle that consists primarily of family. I don't have interest in putting forth the kind of time and energy commitment required to build new friendships and relationships. See confession #4.

I really wish people could see that these things are not a reflection of how I feel about them PERSONALLY. They're just.... me. It's just how I am. So, please don't be offended if I haven't invited you over in a while (or... ever) or if I didn't answer your calls. I prefer to care from a distance. Nothing is wrong, you haven't offended me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment