Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Baby Danes, Baby Danes, Baby Danes

So, Summer has been flying by. I can't believe that it's already almost July, and the month is halfway over.

We've been keeping pretty busy at our house. I suppose a litter of nine Great Dane puppies will do that. Zailey has been a fantastic first time mama. I can't believe how in tune she is with their needs and how patient she is with their dependence on her for everything. Truly amazing.

I'm trying really hard to not get too attached to them, as if that were ever even possible. They have such great personalities, and raising them has been nothing short of remarkable. It's a lot of work, a lot of poop, and requires a lot of patience. There has been many sleepless nights, countless times when I'd really rather be in asleep but find myself bathing or feeding puppies instead. I'm excited for the homes we have found, and anticipating watching them all grow up. I won't make a living breeding, it's impossible to do so without cutting corners or compromising ethics which is simply out of the question, and it certainly limits our schedule because we are tied down for a solid 8+ weeks, but I definitely see this as something that will be a part of our lives.... dare I say forever?



Next week they will be 8 weeks and most will be on their way to their new homes. How bittersweet it will be. I am going to savor every last minute with them that I can. The house will be so quiet without the thud thud of puppy paws.





No comments:

Post a Comment