Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lake Mead

Ahh, boating season already. But this isn't just ANY boating season, it's our first boating season with a boat of our own. I'm not sure just how much we will be able to get out on the water this summer, because there's a lot going on, including a litter of Dane puppies on the way but we're really excited to at least have gotten our first trip in.

We went to Lake Mead tagging along on a trip Grandpa Albert had planned. It was just a long weekend trip but we had so much fun. Jon drove the entire way there, which anyone that knows Jon (and his tendency to fall asleep at the drop of a hat...) knows why that's so impressive. Plus, it means I didn't have to pull the boat, which is good because I'm afraid I'd screw up and we'd all die.
We also brought Braxton along because, well.... why not.
For being first timers, I think the trip went exceptionally well. Jon caught on to towing the boat like a total natural, and launching, docking, and loading the boat went really well every single time. 
Braxton was a pretty darn good boating dog. The water level was actually up this year instead of down, so the shoreline was a funky quicksand like consistency, which kind of weirded him out and prevented him from going out and swimming, but seriously, this dog is amazing. He took everything in stride, and is a great boating dog, other than being a total bed hog.... but that's a Dane thing. It's a shame I hate training beyond basic manners because he has so much potential. I keep thinking how "easy" it would be to get him certified for therapy work, and then I remember how much I hate training. And people. Then I push the idea out of my mind. -shrug-
Probably the best part of the trip is that since Lake Mead is right next to Vegas, Jon's mom AND his dad were able to come out and spend the day a couple times. Between the dogs, Ruff House, Wal Mart, and Jon's hectic school schedule we don't have many opportunities to go visit, but I'm glad we were able to roll family time and boating time in one, because those are two of my favorite things. I wish we could visit more. I wish they could visit more. HEY, Trish, Chuck, come visit more! For real. 
All in all, we had a great trip. Boating is my single most favorite thing ever to do, I'm so glad Jon enjoys it too. Boat ownership is treating us well. It's a LOT more work to actually be the one prepping a boat, and not just grabbing a toothbrush (which Mitch claims is optional, I however disagree) and bathing suit and going... but it's worth it. 
I'm glad I get to share that part of my life with Jon, too. I'm not sure what I'd do if he didn't like boating. Some of my absolute very best memories of my whole life are on the water. I hope in 20 years, our kids (we will have them, someday) can say the same thing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment