Monday, December 16, 2013

What's in a Name?

Chase Albert Lanman
D&C 20:70
Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name.

December 15, 2013 was a special day for our family and for Chase. Our families gathered together for Chase's blessing. This is an LDS tradition in which new babies are given their name that will be on record with the church, as well as a priesthood blessing for their spiritual and physical well-being.  It was so special to have so many people from both sides of the family present to support Chase, we are so thankful for those who could be here.
As I looked around the room, my heart was touched. I can't believe the immense amount of support we have around us. Jon's family made the 6 hour drive to be here for the special day, and it really meant the world to us.
I'm thankful that Chase has SO MANY amazing men to look up to. It makes me so happy that he will grow up watching these men and knowing that their wonderful examples will help shape him into a great husband, father, and friend. He couldn't be luckier, he has the best father, grandpas, and uncles anyone could ask for. And the women in his life aren't too shabby, either.
The name we gave him, as most already know is Chase Albert Lanman. Jon and I have talked baby names for three years, and we had a couple picked out we liked, but when I was about 13 weeks pregnant, we felt very strongly that though there were several names we really liked- THIS baby was Chase. That would be his name. We flip flopped on middle names a little bit. I believe a father kind of has a right to name his first born son, and Jon had the absolute final say on middle names. Having no family tradition of middle names, I did suggest that if he wasn't opposed to it, or set on anything else, that there was one name- one person- that I really wanted to honor with a namesake at some point. It didn't have to be the first born son, it didn't have to be this baby, but eventually, at some point I wanted to use the name Albert after my grandfather. We immediately loved the name Chase Albert, and just knew it was his name. It has been his name since before he was born, and unlike so many people who name babies before birth we didn't even consider changing it after he was born.
There was no meaning behind the name Chase. Honestly, I just always liked the name since hearing it on House though it wasn't until I was pregnant we ever considered naming a baby that. Though when Chuck told Jon it was a former nickname of his it completely solidified the decision!
My father made the decision to not be a part of my life. He made that choice. Luckily for me, I was still left with one of the finest examples anyone could possibly have for what it took to be a father, grandfather, and all around respectable being.
I could never list the ways that my Grandpa Albert has positively influenced my life. Through my childhood most of my very best memories include time with my grandparents. He is a leader by example and I've never questioned his testimony or faith in the Lord as I've observed how he lives his life. Even at my worst- even as an arrogant, ignorant, unruly teenager, I've never questioned that my grandpa Albert was there for me- that he loves me and wants me to be happy. Growing up, I really thought Albert had the answers to everything. How things work. How to fix things. How to solve problems. How to live life. And he always has! Now as an adult, I don't just think he has this whole life thing figured out- I know it. He is the wisest, smartest person I've been blessed enough to meet. I honestly believe that his influence has made me a better person, and the same can be said for anyone lucky enough to know him. The year I spent living with my grandparents was probably the single most life-changing year of my life. As I observed my grandparents, things just started to make sense. The way they lived made sense. I could clearly see the way their morals, values, lifestyle, and practices brought them genuine happiness. It changed me. (No, really it did. I even make my bed now. Thanks, Grandma Billie!)
SO, when it came to giving our son a name, we thought about what we wanted it to mean. We knew we want to give our babies family names for middle names. We have several we intend to use eventually. When I think of the kind of person I hope for him to be, the qualities I hope to instill in him- patience, kindness, charity, spiritual strength, a testimony of his Savior, etc. I can't think of anyone who better embodies these traits than my grandfather. It means so much to me that Chase has grandpa Albert's name. I'm so thankful that he has such a wonderful father to look up to- something I never had- because I realize that Chase won't have the example and memories of Grandpa Albert that I cherish so much. It means the world to me that he has his name.
 So that's the story behind his name. Chase Albert Lanman.







No comments:

Post a Comment