Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Magical Weekend

Thanks to the incredible generosity of Jon's family, we were able to take Chase on his first Disneyland vacation this weekend. We had so much fun. I was a little worried about how he would do on the flights since we have never flown with him and road trips so far have not exactly been smooth sailing, but he did surprisingly well. We made it both there and back without wanting to crawl into a dark hole and disappear, so we have dubbed it a success. Really, can you hope for much more than that with a one year old? I think not.
We got to our hotel pretty late Thursday night. By the time we got checked in and settled in our room it was 2am. All three of us were tired, cranky, and so hungry. Chase was absolutely beside himself with the over stimulation of travel and then being greeted by enthusiastic family members. The second he was in our quiet room, he snuggled right down to sleep. Thank goodness.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday we played at both Disneyland parks. Chase was a little tired each day because he never sleeps as well away from home. Considering he was teething as well (One actually cut Saturday. Poor boy.)
He really did have a fun weekend and for the most part liked all the rides- some more than others. He actually really liked the Haunted House, the Little Mermaid, and Pirates of the Caribbean probably the most. He didn't like Toy Story or Dumbo. I think he did pretty darn good. Despite the distance between us, Chase took right to his Aunt Rachel and his Grandma. It was like they'd been around all along. I'm so glad- it's so important to me that he knows *both* sides of his family and how very loved he is. The proximity to my family makes that easy, but it takes a little more effort to know that we are closing the gaps on the other end to make up for the distance. This weekend reassured me just fine he's not forgetting anyone.
I was able to meet up with an old friend for a couple of hours one of the days as well and it was so nice to catch up, It really got me reflecting on friendship, what it means to me, and who matters... but that's a whole different post for a different day. (Perhaps coming soon!)
We were far from ready to come home and get back to reality. Grandpa always said it was best to end a vacation while it's still fun so you can't wait to go back again. We definitely did that. It's funny how living in San Diego my whole life, Disneyland just kind of lost its charm and wasn't all that exciting. Then we moved away and Jon and I have made one trip back (excluding this one) and it was more fun than when I lived there. It's also kind of funny how I really, truly, do *NOT* miss living in San Diego. For real, I will never even consider moving back, no way. But a part of me gets a little excited to take Chase for a visit- just to show him where I grew up. Not that it's all that important but still. He changes everything, and for the better. I love this little boy so much.
Now, experiencing the park with my own little one and watching the magic and wonder in his eyes as he took in all the sights, people, and characters brought a whole new level of magic to the experience. Now we are trying to figure out how we can possibly slip another trip (or two?!) into the budget this year. Probably not a realistic goal but hey, we can dream can't we?!
We are so thankful that this trip was even possible. It would not have happened on our own. Not. At. All. We really do just have the most incredible family.
I feel like I got just a little bit closer with Jon's family this trip. I'm not sure what set it apart than any other trip really, but it was so much more comfortable to me. Perhaps I've let my guard down just a little? I don't know. I tend to not let people in very easily, I suppose a product of feeling rejected by certain people in the past a part of me figures if I never let people in in the first place they can never reject me! But that's not really living. And I feel like now, finally, at 25 years old, I'm starting to let myself be closer to people. Quality people.
























No comments:

Post a Comment