Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Means + Priorities = Lifestyle

I've been thinking a lot lately about the things that matter to me- and the things that don't. It's so easy to get caught up in unimportant things telling myself there will be time for the things that matter later. Suddenly days become weeks, weeks become months, and months become years. I always heard my Grandpa say to never put off for tomorrow what can be done today, and to not sweat the things that don't really matter. I've been reflecting on this a lot lately.
I firmly believe that lifestyle is a choice. We choose the things that are important to us, we use our means to make them happen, and we are always making decisions even when we are unaware of it. Like right now, I'm choosing to spend this time blogging. I could be doing other things. I could be mopping the floors. But I'm not. Later I might say "I didn't have time to get to the floors today." But the reality is "I chose to do other things with my time today and the floors didn't get done." Time, money, and resources are all spent with our choices.
I am making an honest effort to live my life in a way that truly reflects my priorities. I am taking a proactive approach rather than saying the things I want and complaining I don't have them.


It is important to me to live by my family.
It is important to me to own our home.
It is important to me to feed my family wholesome, fresh organic foods.
It is important to me to have pets a part of our lives.
It is important to me to maintain our yearly family boating trip.
It is important to me to be a present mom to Chase.
It is important to me to be a present wife to Jon.
It is important to me to be a stay-at-home-Mom.
It is important to me to take care of our Earth and make choices that aren't damaging to her as best I can.
It is important to me to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Other things matter too don't get me wrong. I love it when our budget allows a cruise or trip to San Diego- but never at the expense of the family trips that mean so much more to me. We would LOVE to live on acreage someday but won't consider any place that takes us too far away from family. I cherish my friendships, but not in a way that I'd allow them to take me away from Chase or Jon. We could absolutely use more income to buy fun things and take fun vacations- but not at the expense of me staying home to raise Chase.
I challenge you to reflect on if your own priorities are reflected in your choices. Can you REALLY not afford xyz, or is it that abc is more important? Do you REALLY not have time for xyz, or is it that abc is a higher priority? If you're not happy with something in your life- change it. Everyone's priorities are different and that's OK. In fact, that's necessary and beautiful. We are all individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment