Sunday, January 5, 2014

Retrospect

Another year has come and gone. I can't believe the rollercoaster that was 2013 for our little family. As I sit and reflect back on the events the last 12 months, I am humbled. They say hindsight is 20/20 and I must say that this year is such a perfect example of one of those times. I can honestly say that this year, more than any other year, I am thankful for my trials. In retrospect I can see their importance and why things needed to happen the way they did.
Jon started working for Intermountain in January. I can not tell you how nice it is that he's not working nights anymore. His schedule with Wal Mart was brutal on him, and wasn't easy on us in general. His current job has been such a blessing and I'm thankful for it every single day.
We raised two litters of Dane puppies that we sent to their new homes in March. I can't believe they're a year old already! I don't know if we will have any litters in 2014. Probably not. It's SO much work.





In March we decided to sell our house. What. A. Joke. I am so not cut out for house selling. I hated everything about it. It's such an emotional roller coaster, getting under contract, things falling through, questioning if you're making the right decision, having to rearrange things for showings, not ever being able to count on just being home for the day. Screw that. We found our dream home, had it pulled out from under us, got under contract again were within a week of closing, and then that fell through, too. At the time it really seemed like the end of the world.
April 8th is when we discovered we were FINALLY pregnant. Yay! We couldn't have been more excited and happy.
I wanted to be one of those women who loves pregnancy. I mean, it really is amazing when you think of it... growing an entire human being in your belly. Incredible! Amazing! Plus I thought after trying and waiting so long that I would just soak it up. Wrong. I flippin' hate pregnancy. I hate it so much. Feeling movement is incredible, I mean that is the single most amazing thing ever. And it's of course all totally worth the end result. The hip pain. The nausea. The puking all day every day. The headaches. The hemorrhoids. (Yes. I just blogged about hemorrhoids. Actually, it might not even be the first time. I'm not really sure. They really suck.) The cold sweats. The hip pain. The pelvic pressure. No. Just, no. Pregnancy sucks. Unfortunately I want like... four more babies, so I'm pretty sure I have to do it again. *cringe* ANyone interested in being a surrogate. For real. Have my babies for me. Please?
I am so glad I got to make a trip to Texas with my mom to visit Shelly and her family. Oh how I wish they would just move to Utah already. We made some really good memories, and in true family fashion, ate really good food. Not even kidding, I had this burger that had to have been made with unicorn meat and fairy poop because it was just THAT delicious. Though I'm pretty sure "Texas" is just another word for Hell. Talk about hot and humid, holy cow! But my sister drives a rocket ship, so there's that.
At some point during my pregnancy, I started getting nervous we wouldn't even have a home when he came, and we decided to take the house off the market and do some of the renovations we had planned on doing when we moved in. After all, we never fell in love with the house for what it was- but for the potential it had. Fanflippintastic choice!
If there's anything tougher than selling a house- it's renovating one. Especially when you have no idea what you're doing and are also poor. I am SO PROUD of Jon and how much he accomplished.
October 6th I spent 13 hours in labor, thinking I was having braxton hicks. Chase was born 11 weeks early at 12:48am on October 7th, 2013. The following 59 days were spent in NICU and he came home December 4, 2013.

In retrospect, the things that seemed like the end of the world were actually huge blessings in disguise. I am so glad we didn't get a bigger mortgage now given all that's going on medically with Chase. I am so glad that my grandfather owns my house, and that I don't have a conventional loan with a bank- now no matter what happens with our medical bills, they can't take away my house! Plus, we like this charming old place again!
All our hard work is paying off. I am so thankful Heavenly Father gave us these trials and growing experiences this year. I feel like we are stronger as individuals because of it, and all these experiences brought Jon and I closer together than ever.

I am excited for 2014. I am excited to embark on this journey as a new mom. I am excited to grow and be challenged. I am so happy and content with where we are right now. I don't have any life-changing resolutions, because quite frankly I plan to spend the next year slowing down. It's time to just be. It's time to soak in life. I'm over the rat race... the quest for bigger, better, faster has ended for me. I intend to enjoy the things in life that can't be bought or traded. Family. Friends. I'd like to get more active with my church, I'd like to be a better friend, wife, mother, sister, daughter.

So, goodbye 2013. You were fun. Actually, you weren't... You were kind of a nightmare, but I forgive you.

Hello, 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment